How to choose a car seat?
When a child appears in the family, the question of buying a child car seat immediately becomes relevant, because young passengers up to 12 years old must be transported in a special child restraint device.In the first months of life, the baby will fit a car seat or a car seat of the group ” 0\0+”. How to choose and install the car seat correctly? What are its advantages and disadvantages over a car seat? We will tell you about all this below.
What is a car seat?
A car seat is a special holding device designed for newborn babies (up to 10 kg, approximately 6-7 months). The child is placed in it completely in a horizontal position. Such a restraint device is installed perpendicular to the direction of travel in the back seat, taking up two seats. The child is fastened with special internal belts.
It is recommended to use the car seat in the first months of the baby’s life. This is due to physiological factors. The fact is that the baby’s musculoskeletal tissue is not yet developed, which makes the skeleton quite flexible and vulnerable. At the same time, the weight of the head is about 30% of the body weight (in an adult, this figure is only 6 %). Underdeveloped neck muscles are not yet able to hold the head with sharp nods. In the supine position, there is almost no load on the neck and spine, which makes the trip safe for the child. At least he’s not in any danger from sudden braking.
Types and categories of child restraints for infants
The car seat belongs to the category “0”. You can travel from birth to 6 months in such a holding device.
In addition, the “0\0+” and “0+\1” car seats are suitable for babies.
The “0\0+” group is a car seat carrier. They are intended for babies from birth to 12 months, and have a weight limit of 13 kg. such a holding device is Installed on the back or front seats against the course of movement. Fixed with a standard seat belt or using the Isofix system.
Group “0+\1” – standard car seats for children from birth to 4 years weighing from 0 to 18 kg. a Child in such a car seat can not take a completely horizontal position. The maximum tilt of the backrest is 40 degrees, plus for children under one year of age, it is recommended to use a special orthopedic insert that allows them to take a reclining position. It is not recommended to transport infants in such car seats.
The choice of a car seat for a baby depends on the frequency and duration of future trips. If only short trips (1-2 hours) are planned in the future, you can consider models from the “0+” category. They are more versatile and will last longer. If you plan to travel long distances, it is recommended to purchase a car seat of the category “0”, where the child will be in the supine position.
Advantages and disadvantages of the car seat
The most important advantage of the car seat is that the child in this holding device is completely in a horizontal position, which is optimal for him in the first months of life. It is in this position that the load on the spine is distributed evenly, the neck muscles do not strain and the respiratory organs work correctly.
Therefore, if you plan long trips in the car, then you should choose the car seat. A trip in a car seat of the group “0\0+” for an infant should not exceed one hour without at least a fifteen-minute break.
Among the disadvantages, we should highlight the limited period of use. Only 6 months and you will have to buy a new restraint device.
The level of safety of the car seat also raises many questions from experts. It is not recommended to use the stroller bowl as a restraint device in the car, even if the manufacturers have allowed this possibility. Such a device will not be able to ensure proper safety of the baby in the event of an accident.
And, finally, the third disadvantage is the size of the car seat. If a standard car seat is installed on one seat, the car seat takes up as many as two.
How to choose a car seat?
- Age and weight of the child.
Car seats are designed for children from birth to 6-7 months (weighing up to 10 kg.). If the baby exceeds these parameters, you need to consider the car seat category “0+\1”.
- Materials. Please note that the upholstery of the car seat is made of hypoallergenic, breathable material. Best of all, if it is a natural fabric. The cover should be removable for easy washing.
- Useful accessory. Trips for the baby will be even more comfortable if you use special accessories. For example, an orthopedic insert for the head and torso, a insulated envelope in the cold season, sun blinds on car Windows, etc.
- Fitting before purchase. When buying a car seat, it is recommended to make its “fitting”. Take your baby to the store, put it in a bowl and watch how comfortable it is in it.
- Security. The safety restraint must comply with the European Safety Standard. This is indicated by the special ECE R44/04 badge on its body. You can also ask about the results of passing crash tests for a specific model and consult with a specialist in the store.
Installing the car seat
How to attach a car seat for newborns? As a rule, the installation of the car seat is made perpendicular to the course of movement on the rear seats of the car. Since it is placed across the seat, it takes up two seats at once. The child is fixed inside the restraint device with a 3-point belt. The child’s legs should be directed towards the door.
In the car, the cradle can be fixed with a standard car belt or with the help of the Isofix system. In the latter case, a special base is required, with Isofix mounts, on which the car seat is fixed.
Top 5 Car seat for Kids
Graco Extend2Fit Convertible Car Seat | Ride Rear Facing Longer with Extend2Fit, Gotham
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends children ride rear-facing until at least 2 years of age. Extend2Fit features a 4-position extension panel that provides 5” of extra legroom allowing your child to ride safely rear-facing longer. The seat can be used rear-facing from 4-50 lbs. and forward-facing from 22-65 lbs. The seat features Simply Safe Adjust which allows you to adjust the height of the harness and headrest as your child grows, InRight LATCH for a one-second LATCH attachment and Fuss Free harness storage which holds the buckle out of the way, so it’s easy to get baby in and out.
Graco Tranzitions 3 in 1 Harness Booster Seat, Kyte
- 3 in 1 harness booster helps protect your child, from toddler to youth; harness booster (22 65 pounds), high back booster (30 100 pounds), backless booster (40 100 pounds). Features the Simply Safe Adjust Harness System, which adjusts your harness and headrest to 8 height positions, with no rethreading
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of your harness and headrest in one motion; one hand, 5 position adjustable headrest easily adapts for your growing child. Car Seat Depth 17.4 inches, Car Seat Width Outside 19 inches, Car Seat Height: 26.5 inches
- Engineered & rigorously crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213; the Nautilus 65 has been side impact tested for occupant retention solely with the built in 5 point harness system
- Open loop belt guides properly position vehicle seat belt across child; seat pad, body support and harness covers are comfortable and machine washable. Metal and plastic parts may be cleaned with mild soap and cool water
- Dual cup holders help keep your child’s drink close; lightweight, portable seat is ideal for busy, active parents
Graco TurboBooster Backless Booster Car Seat, Galaxy
Basic Booster-height-adjustable armrests and retractable Cup holders-a source of fun for children. Easy-to-use car seat belt guides – red plastic parts. Booster cover with soft padding is removable and suitable for machine washing. Light weight and easy to use.
Graco Affix Highback Booster Seat with Latch System, Atomic
- Booster car seat helps safely transport your big kid from 40-100 lb* and up to 57″ tall
- *To continue to meet industry standards, we have increased the weight minimum from 30 to 40 lb
- One-hand front-adjust Latch system secures booster to vehicle seat
- Multi-layer headrest for your child’s comfort
- Full coverage back support even as your child grows
Safety 1st Grow and Go 3-in-1 Car Seat
Get the car seat that’s built to grow! From your first ride together coming home from the hospital to soccer day car pools, the 3-in-1 Grow and Go Car Seat will give your child a safer and more comfortable ride. Featuring extended use at each stage, this convertible car seat is designed to last through all your firsts with your child.
For newborns to growing toddlers, the Grow and Go can be used in the rear-facing position from 5-40 pounds. It includes two comfortable grow-with-baby pillows to give your new travel companion a snug fit, and they easily remove as your baby outgrows them.
In forward-facing mode, the Grow and Go keeps your child protected in a harness up to 65 pounds. In both rear-facing and forward-facing mode, harness holders keep the harness in an open position. This makes it easier for you to get your child in and out of the car seat. No more fishing for the harness and clips from behind your child – they’re right there when you need them. The QuickFit™ Harness offers additional convenience in both of these stages by letting you adjust the height of both the headrest and harness in one easy step, making it simple to give your growing child the best fit.
When your child is ready to use the vehicle seat belts, remove the harness to use the Grow and Go 3-in-1 Car Seat in belt-positioning booster mode: up to 100 pounds. The headrest still adjusts easily, letting you get the best fit for your child.
As your tiny baby grows into a big kid, messes are bound to happen, but the Grow and Go car seat pad makes cleanup easy. Machine washable and dryer safe, it is also designed to come off the seat easily, with no need to remove the harness. The Grow and Go is designed to provide more comfort to parents too. It takes up less room when placed rear-facing, giving up to 7 inches more leg room for parents in the front seat.
See more gadgets for moms here: